Recently, River Island contacted me to see what I thought of their spring lineup. If you’re a longtime reader of my blog, you know I’ve featured them before. I feel inspired by the spring trends for 2014, especially pastels. The sweet hues at River Island remind me of carefree strolling, sunny days, and two-hour lunches. I think something about pastels make you look like a woman in love.
As you become older and busier, you don’t always have time for a romantic afternoon with your other half. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have a beautiful day out with someone I absolutely love:
p.s. If you are looking for plus-size clothing as a size 14-16, River Island can be a great place to shop because their UK18 fits well, especially if there’s a little stretch. In terms of fashion-forward pieces, I think they beat ASOS too, which is saying something! If you are new to the brand, they are worth checking out.
Jacket + Earrings: c/o River Island, Pants: D. Perkins, Shoes: Donald J. Pliner, Bag: Kate Spade
Shop The Post:
I’m turning 29 next week and I feel it. I thought I would dread being so close to 30, but as I’ve written about lately, getting older is… kinda awesome. I feel like I’m drawing closer and closer to the woman I want to be—as a mom, wife, professional, and my own person.
Here are some essentials I would love to add to my life this year.
- Rachael Ruddick “Le Trop” Bag: It’s time for my first cross-body bag. At the events I’ve attended recently, I’ve noticed the kind of woman who wears them: usually a smart, creative-type who is on her phone a lot. It frees up your hands and forces you to pack lightly. Box shapes are my favorite for these little bags and croco makes this one a grown up bag for a grown up woman.
- Oribe Surfcomber Mousse and Super Fine Spray- Someone told me you have the best hair of your LIFE in your 20s and 30s, so live it up. I’m stepping up my hair game with some new products. These are Jen Atkin (celeb hairstylist) approved.
- Shiseido SPF - I’m close to my 30s but people tell me I look younger. Glowing skin is mostly about protection and nothing damages it like the sun. This is an old favorite.
- Kate Spade Card Holder- I updated my business cards for the new year and think this is a handsome card holder to pull out of your bag. Simple and elegant. Love the little engraving too.
- Ritual Juice Cleanse- I’ve never done a cleanse, but hear your first is the most memorable (isn’t that always the case). I’ve researched it and think Ritual Cleanse is the one for me! They have different combinations of juices to suit your needs. I’m ready to detox, literally and figuratively.
In the pictures I’m wearing some pieces from the Evans x Clements Ribeiro collaboration. Their prints were gorgeous, though much is sold out. I personally think Evans is underrated—I’ve found some amazing things there over the years.
Mixed prints are super stylish, but can be confusing. These are a few principles I try to follow when wearing this trend.
- Pick two colors from one piece and make sure those two colors (or close matches) make up the print of your second piece.
- Invert your colors. Figure out which color pops the most in your first print and which color is a more a background color. In your second print, switch that up.
- Play with print size. Prints of equal size work great but having one small and one large is even more striking.
- If it feels like too much wear a solid layer to break up the prints.